Tuesday, September 7, 2010

When you know better

It always starts, the same way, I have this feeling inside me, I know it might not turn out right, but maybe this time if I try.

No

No, the thing is that "feeling" is a wrongful little bastard, that gut feeling is in your gut and not your head for a reason. The thing is, your head is where all the thinking happens, every time you go against what the thinking sector figured out, what do you believe is going to happen?

What I mean by hating knowing better is taking a chance with something, something that doesn't seem coherent at the time, or something that seems doomed to fail. You chance it because you got that gut feeling, but what the hell does your gut know? Your gut isn't even anything in specific, it's a whole region that does nothing but take food and move it out your ass, why should that have any play into the decision making process.

It should not, and yet it seems to weasel its way into many choices, and when things turn sour, which they always do for me when I rely on the ol' gut, I can't help but feel self deprecating because I literally knew better. My brain said, "Hey you know Adam, that's not gonna happen" And I literally said fuck you mind, this stupid thing in my belly says otherwise.

I think we believe the gut because it's always optimistic, and the brain is vastly more cynical. The brain is a seasoned veteran of life and knows the worst is always yet to come, but the gut always looks to hope. If only the gut wasn't always more prominent, maybe the cynical and restricted brain would be able to do its job and make us happier people.

No comments:

Post a Comment